Monday, October 5, 2009

The Week 5 "4th and Fail" College Football Top 10

Another new feature around here. This one we decided to wheel out of storage several weeks into the college football season. Each writer for this blog, weekly, will compile their own top ten college football ballot. For each ballot, first place gets ten points, second place gets nine, and so on. We will then add together the totals and bring to you our collective poll. With that said, I present to you the Week 5 "4th and Fail" College Football Poll.

Final Ballot (with Total Points in parentheses)

1. Alabama (29)
2.
Florida (27)
3.
Texas (23)
4.
LSU (21)
5.
Virginia Tech (18)
6.
Cincinnati (14)
7.
Boise State (10)
8.
USC (9)
9.
Miami (8)
10.
Auburn (4)
T-11.* Iowa and TCU (1 point each)

The voting breakdown is as follows, with brief explanations from each writer:

-
TV's Ballot.
1. Alabama
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Virginia Tech
5. Cincinnati
6. LSU
7. Boise State
8. Miami
9. USC
10. Iowa

Explanation: From what I've seen to date, Alabama is the best team in the country... right now. Florida hasn't faced much of a challenge yet, but that changes in Death Valley this Saturday. As for LSU, they've impressed me the least, and could have easily lost the last two games against Miss. St. and Georgia. I've got VT at four because their one loss is to the (arguably) best team in the nation, and one of their wins is against the team with the toughest schedule so far (Miami), who is 3-1. I've got UM ahead of USC because Miami has beat three (at the time) ranked teams in four games, and UM's loss (at VT) isn't as bad as USC's (at Washington). I've got Iowa at ten, over teams like Auburn, Oregon and Ohio State because they are undefeated (though unimpressive against two non-D1 teams), plus they beat PSU in Happy Valley, so that gives them points in my book.

- Ted's Ballot.
1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. Florida
4. Texas
5. Cincinnati
6. Virginia Tech
7. Auburn
8. USC
9. Miami
10. Boise State

Others considered: Iowa, Ohio State, Oregon, TCU.

Explanation: I am trying to make my rankings based purely on each team's resume, although if it's close I will do some shuffling based on who I actually think is better and would win on the field right now. At this time it will still seem a bit off because of the disparity in schedules. I am no huge fan of the SEC but right now the four teams I have there all deserve it. Soon enough teams will start losing though and drop off. The team I had the most hard time placing this week was Iowa. Originally, I placed them with the other unbeatens in BCS conferences and had them #5. But, there only significant win was against an overrated Penn State team and in their other wins they haven't exactly played like a top ten team. The Big 10 is a bit better than most people think though, so if they keep winning, they will move up in my poll accordingly.

- Wooj's Ballot.
1. Florida
2. 'Bama
3. Texas
4. LSU
5. Virginia Tech
6. Boise State
7. USC
8. Miami
9. Cincy
10. TCU

Explanation: Ohio State doesn't belong in the top ten, and the only reason I have LSU so high is because they are undefeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment