So in honor of Ochocinco's terrible face ink, and because everyone loves lists (with pictures!), I'm going to take a look at 10 of the most awesomely bad tattoos that athletes sport (see what I did there with the pun? ha!) Anyways, enjoy the list. As usual, if there are any blaring (or not so blaring) omissions, feel free to drop a comment.
10. Let's kick it off with a former No. 1 overall NBA Draft pick: Kenyon Martin. K-Mart, behind his right ear, has a tattoo of a pair of lips. He gave the reason behind the tattoo: it's supposed to be the lips of his girlfriend, and hip hop "star," Trina. This tattoo makes the list because it (kinda) breaks the cardinal rule of tattoos: don't get a woman's name tattooed on you (unless it's family). I'd like to see how Martin explains that tattoo to his grandchildren when he and Trina are no longer together.
9. Oh boy, another Denver Nugget makes the list! This time, I'm going to have to go with Chris Andersen. We all know the story of the "Birdman," but man, does he have some unsightly tats. I could go with that ridiculous chain he has inked around his neck. Or that tacky, psychadelic, crowned skull. Instead I'll go with the wings he has tatted on the inside of his biceps. We get it, you're the Birdman, you don't need to actually have feathers inked on your arms when you flap your 'wings' after a big play.
4. Damn you, David Stern, and all of your tattooed employees (roughly 30 percent!). Oh wait, you mean to tell me this tattoo isn't real? Oh okay, well it's still going to make the list. The 'tattoo' in question is this dandy seen on the back of Cavaliers forward Anderson Varejao. It says, "Chosen 2," in reference to LeBron James' "Chosen 1" tatted across his back. Yeah, I know it's not real, but it deserves to be here anyway because the mere idea of Varejao being anything close to "chosen 2" (if that even makes sense) is laughable, since he's a worse sidekick than his cartoon clone, Sideshow Bob.
3. Here is a classic example of a bad tattoo that involves the sport you play. Mike Bibby, has this basketball, hoop and 'net,' if you can call that a basketball net, tatted on his calf. That is just terrible.
2. I really wanted to make this tattoo the king of the awful, but then I came across a different one, and Mike Tyson's face tattoo was bumped to second on this list. Like I said before, face tattoos don't get style points in my book, and Tyson's tribal design is scary. To his credit though, he was pretty funny in his cameo in "The Hangover."
1. It had to take something epically awful to dethrone Tyson on this list, so I give you MMA fighter, and neo-nazi, Melvin Costa. Costa has a swastika on his chest, which is disgusting. But he also has something inked around his belly button. Yeah.
Honorable Mention: DeShawn Stevenson's is slightly better than Vince Young's. Jason Williams has a constant reminder of his skin color. Reggie Miller's stomach should revoke Miller's right to make fun of Charles Barkley on air. Allen Iverson's "Money Bagz." Jeremy Shockey wants to make you aware of his patriotism.