- Each competitor will pick five Marlins (all players in organization are eligible, including minor-leaguers) who they feel will be traded before the July 31st deadline.
- The competitor will rank those five players, one to five, in order of most likely to least likely to get traded.
- Points will be awarded based on where the player is in each competitor's list. Number one selections will get five points, number twos get four and so on down to number five selections receiving one point.
- Whoever has the most points wins.
I thought it would be fun to throw my hat in the ring and give it a shot, so the following are my picks, accompanied by a brief explanation of why I think each player will be shipped before July 31.
- Dan Uggla - He's been having a tough season, and though I'm sure his numbers will improve, he is slowly being replaced by rookie Chris Coghlan.
- Jeremy Hermida - He's a solid player, but he just hasn't panned out how the organization has expected him to.
- Cody Ross - If it comes down to choosing to keep Ross or Cameron Maybin for significant playing time, then the Fish probably ship Ross out. He's MLB-ready, and is going to command a lot more money for his services. Many teams out there will be interested in a power-hitting outfielder.
- Ricky Nolasco - He's been struggling recently, with an ERA in the 7's. However, he has shown that he can be a good starting pitcher, and we could get great value for him.
- Burke Badenhop - He's not going to be a starter for the Marlins, but team's are always looking for bullpen help.
*Of course, all of this is under the assumption that the Marlins are out of playoff contention by the deadline. Except Uggla, I'm fairly certain that he gets traded regardless of the team's standing.
So there you have it, folks. Oh, and the winner of the contest will get a post by the guys over at MDH proclaiming how awesome the winner is for correctly picking the players, and possibly some other prizes. Said post will include linkage to the winner's blog, or Twitter feed, or whatever.
I'll keep you guys updated as the contest unfolds.