Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tomorrow is National Signing Day!

Tomorrow, February 4th, is a day that many college football fanatics anticipate from the moment the BCS title game ended. It essentially marks the beginning of the new season, and is the one time for the next two months (until the spring games take place) that college football is in the national spotlight.

I'd love to be able to say that I follow the recruiting trail year-round like many other diehard fans do, but I don't. I'm casually aware of what goes on with the national recruiting scene, but there's something about religiously following a high school player's every move and decision and analyzing every second of his highlight reel that irks me. It just doesn't seem right to be scrutinizing, evaluating and hoping that these high school kids will be the answer to your team's problems and be the savior of the football program.

I prefer to wait until these kids actually hit the field to fully evaluate their potential and what kind of impact they could have as freshmen, or what kind of impact they will have for their team down the road. That being said, I'm still looking forward to tuning in tomorrow, wherever, and checking out the group of undoubtedly freaky fast athletes that my school has put together... but I'll wait until the spring, or better yet, the season opener, to completely evaluate their potential on the roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment