Friday, February 6, 2009

1K: The Highest Summitt in College Basketball

Just wanted to give the ultimate tip of the cap to Pat Summitt, head coach of the Lady Vols basketball team. Tonight she earned her 1,000th win as a head coach, a feat that is just hard to fathom. In 35 seasons she racked up 1,000 wins... that's the most among any college coach, ever.

While I secretly wished for her team to lose tonight (just because the next game for the Lady Vols would have been here in Gainesville against the Gators and it would've been quite exciting to be there for this special moment), I do congratulate her for the feat.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I follow women's basketball like I do with men's basketball or football, but I know a legend when I see one. Summitt is already in the Hall of Fame, and the court at Tennessee carries her namesake. But Summitt truly deserves to be in a class of her own. She sits at the top, right up there with basketball names like Lenny Wilkins, Pat Riley, Don Nelson, Jerry Sloan and Larry Brown, who have all eclipsed the 1,000-win mark in the NBA.

With her eight national championships she's mentioned in the same breath as names like John Wooden, who has 10 titles, and Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach, who each have nine NBA titles.

It seems pretty evident that Summitt is not only the greatest women's coach of all-time, but she is up there with the greatest basketball coaches of all-time... and for that, I tip my cap to her and give her a standing ovation. I hope everyone else does, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment