Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Charles Barkley Thinks Auburn Did a "Turrible" Job

"I think race was the No. 1 factor. You can say it's not about race, but you can't compare the two résumés and say [Chizik] deserved the job. Out of all the coaches they interviewed, Chizik probably had the worst résumé."

- Charles Barkley, former Auburn forward, on the school's hiring of head football coach Gene Chizik.

Barkley definitely has a point here. Why would Auburn hire a guy who, in his two seasons at Iowa State, compiled a record of 5-19? There were definitely much more deserving candidates out there, namely, Buffalo's Turner Gill.

Sir Charles is telling it like it is, especially after ESPN's Mark Schlaback reported that two SEC coaches told him Gill would never get the Auburn job because he has a white wife. Apparently black coaches, white wives and the "heart of the South," don't mix very well.

This statement, among other things, is exactly why we would support Charles Barkley if he ever decided to run for a political office. It also happens to be why we think that he should have his own talk show, two hours, every day. It would undoubtedly be a hit.

This brings us to our favorite quotes, in no particular order, by The Round Mound of Rebound, Sir Charles Barkley:

Note: The famous, "that's terrible," and, "he's a knucklehead," are not included because they are said on a regular basis. It would be unfair to include them because they would take up the entire list.


10. "These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."

9. "We're just playing basketball. It's not like we're going out to have unprotected sex with Magic," - on Magic Johnson's return to basketball after announcing he has HIV.

8. After seeing Sam Cassell on the screen: "Phone home...," and then later, "Sam Cassell is a good guy, but he’s not going to wind up on the cover of GQ anytime soon"
We call that one a double whammy.

7. "I heard Tonya Harding is calling herself the Charles Barkley of figure skating. I was going to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized I have no character."

6. "Yeah Ernie, its called defense, I mean I wouldn't know anything about it personally but I've heard about it through the grapevine."
We too, are fans of the concept of defense, but putting it to practice is a different story.

5. "We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do."

4. "Any time a little midget does something like this, you gotta give him a 10!" - On Nate Robinson in the dunk contest a few years ago.

3. "I don't create controversies. They're there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention."

2. "Kids are great. That's one of the best things about our business, all the kids you get to meet. It's a shame they have to grow up to be regular people and come to the games and call you names."

1. Since we are on the topic of Auburn with this post, the number one spot includes a few quotes about Barkley's days at Auburn:
-1a. “When I was recruited at Auburn [university], they took me to a strip joint. When I saw Buffy, I knew that Auburn met my academic requirements.”
-1b. "All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine"
-1c. Ernie: “Auburn is a pretty good school. To graduate from there I suppose you really need to work hard and put forth maximum effort.”
Charles: “20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!”

2 comments:

  1. What about Chuck: "$400,000 on red..." Dealer: "black!" Chuck: "thats terbl"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quote: "Note: The famous, "that's terrible," and, "he's a knucklehead," are not included because they are said on a regular basis. It would be unfair to include them because they would take up the entire list."

    However, I might have to make an acception for that one. It's TRBL.

    ReplyDelete